Celebrate Christmas with the Perfect Swedish Saffron Buns

Christmas is all about good food, I think we can all agree on that. No matter if you celebrate it with your friends, family or by yourself, food always manages to make its way into the picture! We all have different foods that we associate with the christmas month. For me, these saffron buns just scream Christmas. "Lussebullar" as we call them in Sweden, are delicious saffron buns shaped like an S with raisins on top. To get in the christmas spirit, me and my flatmate Rebecca decided to make some ourselves! This recipe made approximately 30 buns.
These saffron buns are a bit time consuming, but literally so easy to make! This is the second time I'm making them, and you an find the previous recipe I did here.

1. Grind the saffron in a mortar with 1 teaspoon of sugar  Add the rum or water and stir. Let stand 30 minutes.
2. Cut the butter into cubes. Crumble the yeast and mix it with the milk, butter and saffron plus water/rum in a bowl or a food processor with a dough hook.
3. Add remaining sugar, salt, and flour. Work the dough for 15 minutes in the machine or 20 minutes by hand. Let it rise under a cloth for 60 minutes.
4. Put the dough on a workbench. Knead it lightly and bake out the dough into saffron buns. Decorate with raisins!
5. Let the buns rise on a plate under a cloth for about 30 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven to 225 ° C.
7. Brush the buns with beaten egg or milk. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Let cool on a rack under a cloth.
8. Tuck in!

3 kommentarer

  1. I'm so glad you posted this recipe! I keep seeing photos of these treats on my Instagram feed, and I just have to make them. These look gorgeous!

    Amber | y a c h t s m a a n

    SvaraRadera
  2. Ooh yummy! They look like the kind of you treats you can't stop eating once you've started :)

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    SvaraRadera
  3. These look so good! I'll have to bookmark this recipe for later!
    xx Dany | The Queens Empire

    SvaraRadera

Latest Instagrams

© thatsellen. Design by Fearne.